Berlin Public Schools Music Technology Professional Development
Tuesday June 19, 2012
In this assignment you are to create a 3:00 minute song in Garageband.
“Your Choice” of the loops, ”Your Choice” of the style! Be creative and have fun!
You must use at least 10 loops
You must show volume and pan changes
You must use at least one audio effect
Listen to past class assignment in the MP3 Player below
Due Date is Friday April 28 End of your class period
March 30, 2012 – “Sound Effects Story”
In this assignment you are going to “tell” a story using sound effects and music.
Step One – Finding a Story
Option 1 – You can find a story/poem online. material from English class, etc.
Option 2 – You can write your own story.
Step Two – Finding Words
Go through your story/poem and make a list of words that you will need to find sound effects for.
For example: As the storm was howling I drove down the road as fast as I could. The sound of the storm was like a freight train in the night.
Which words would you enhance with sound effects?
Step Three – Finding Sound Effects
1. In Garageband find the FX sounds.
Step Four – “Telling the Story”
Using the sound effects you found for your story/poem “Tell” your story.
Sound effects must be placed in Garageband in the order found in your story.
Leave space in between each sound effect to enhance the telling of the story
Step Five – Music
Using the loops in Garageband create music that will enhance your story.
What kind of music would you create for a horror story? SCI FI?, etc
The music is to enhance the story and not overpower.
March 21, 2012 – Audio Editing – “Movie Speeches”
Last Assignment for Q3
1. Go online and listen to the various movie or historical speeches.
2. Make a new speech by taking words or phrases from the various speeches.
3. Use at least three effects in the final product. Your choice which ones and where.
4. File length – 3:00 minutes or longer
5. Save final product as an MP3 into your network folder.
Be creative and have fun!!
The Movie Wavs”
Movie Sound Clips
Using Garageband in the Classroom
Web 2.0 Resources in the Classroom
iPad Apps for Music Education
Using YouTube in the Classroom
YouTube provides a forum for people to connect, inform, and inspire others across the globe and acts as a distribution platform for original content creators and advertisers large and small.
YouTube in Music Education
You should be able to do the following in YouTube
1. Create an account
2. Create an YouTube Channel
3. Create playlists within your Channel
4. Add videos to your playlists
If your school blocks YouTube (many School Districts do) you should be able to do the following:
1. Find TeacherTube, SchoolTube or another service
2. Convert YouTube videos using Keepvid, Zamzar or other conversion sites
3. Create and account in TeacherTube, SchoolTube or another service
4. Upload videos to the new account.
You can also download YouTube videos and play them offline.
You can also convert any YouTube video to MP3
YouTube to MP3
Before you use YouTube in the Classroom make sure of the following:
Always, Always preview any video(s) before showing them in class. Pay attention to comments and sidebar videos
Great way to show YouTube in the classroom with comments and sidebar videos is QuietTube.com
Want to learn more about Garageband?
Take Barbara Freedman’s online course Teaching Music with Garageband